History



The recorded data about the building seems to start from around circa. 1868. This impressive building maintains an enviable position over looking the sea front of Shanklin. The original importance of the building is apparant within in it’s history. The building was originally called ‘The Cliff’.
 



A map showing Capt. Harvey's plot to the right.

 

The land of which the ‘Cliff’ was built was owned by the White Popham family. This very famous Ilse of Wight family, owned a considerable amount of land in and around Shanklin, including the famous Shanklin Chine. A short stroll from the hotel- www.shanklinchine.co.uk
The White Popham family were all buried in St Blasius Chuch, Church Road, Shanklin. Their monumental inscriptions can be found on the Chance Wall within the church. These inscriptions date from 1735 to 1913.

It is believed that the actual buidling which has subsequently become the Hotel was built for a Captain Thomas Harvey who was married to Mary Nunn Harvey.  There is recorded evidence that they were in residents here up until 1897.

 

      This 20th Century map, shows the name as the "Cliff"


He was a member of Her Majesty’s 69th Regiment of foot. The 69th Regiment was nick named ‘The Ups and Downs’ and was thought to obtain the nick name from it’s number which reads the same upside down. The 69th Regiment of foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army formed in 1758 and amalgamated in to the Welsh Regiment in 1881. Little is known about Captain Thomas Harvey other that he passed away in 1888 and was buried in Ryde. However this cannot be said about Mrs Mary Nunn Harvey, where much more is recorded.



Mrs Mary Nunn Harvey died at her home The Cliff ( ie: The Cliff Hall) in October 1897 at the age of 62 yrs old. Does her spirit still wander the corridors of the hotel? Her father who was in the lace making industry came from Nottingham and when the family moved to the island he opened a factory in what is now Broadlands House Staplers, Newport. It is written that " the property of H.W.Nunn Esq. (Mary's brotherr) owns the lace factory situated on the right of the road as you enter Newport from the east. It provides emploment for a great number of the poor and has long been celebrated for the production of a very delicate and expensive fabric."  It is further written that for some forty years from 1827 lace produced at the Nunn factory at Broadlands on Staplers Road was renowned, not only in Britain but througout Europe, for its beauty of design and the outstanding quality of fabric manufactured." There are numerous examples of Henry Nunn's generosity and where the Nunn fortune contributed both during and after his life. - iwhistoryextras.org

Mrs Mary Nunn inherited a considerable amount of money upon the death of her father, which allowed her to become a public benefactor. She gave land and paid for the building of St. Michaels Church, Ryde and reportedly was actively involved in charity work across the island. When the factory closed Mrs Nunn opened it as a home for the elderly.

The building was once a Y.M.C.A. known as the Cliff Hall Y.M.C.A Holiday Centre. It is believed that the site has been a hotel for over 40 years and now offers "quality guest accommodation.